This is my "God Spot" blog

Hello, and welcome to my "God Spot" blog. This is a place for me to journal about my relationship with God. It includes bible readings, other books I learn from, songs, thoughts, etc. Just stuff that has to do with my relationship with God. I have read the bible from cover to cover before and want to do it again but this time instead of going straight through from front to back I want to read it in a chronological order so I found a print out to map it out for me. I am a big history buff too so I may add things like maps or recent scientific discoveries, etc. I hope it will be fun, educational and that my relationship with God will be enhanced by it.

Thursday, September 10, 2015

ZECHARIAH

Zechariah was told before anyone else that God was setting in motion his own visit to earth. Zechariah and his wife, Elizabeth, were known for their personal holiness.  They were well suited to doing a special work for God.  But they shared the pain of not having children, and in Jewish culture this was considered not having God's blessing.  Zechariah and Elizabeth were old, and they had stopped even asking for children.

Their trip to the temple in Jerusalem for Zechariah's turn at duty had included an unexpected blessing.  Zechariah was chosen to be the priest who would enter the Holy Place to offer incense to God for the people.  Suddenly, much to his surprise and terror, he found himself face to face with an angel.  The angel's message was too good to be true!  But Zechariah did not respond to the news of the coming Savior as much as he expressed doubts about his own ability to father the child the angel promised him.  His age spoke more loudly than God's promise.  As a result, God prevented Zechariah from speaking until the promise became reality.

The record of the prayer in Luke 1 is our last glimpse of Zechariah.  Like so many of God's most faithful servants, he passed quietly from the scene once his part was done.  He becomes our hero for those times when we doubt God and yet are willing to obey.  We gain hope from Zechariah's story that God can do great things through anyone who is available to him.

Zechariah was:

  • Known as a righteous man
  • Occupation:  A priest before God
  • One of the few people to be directly addressed by an angel
  • Fathered John the Baptist
  • Momentarily doubted God's promise of a son
  • Relatives:  Wife; Elizabeth, Son; John the Baptis
Zechariah's story is told in Luke 1

No comments:

Post a Comment