This is my "God Spot" blog

Hello, and welcome to my "God Spot" blog. This is a place for me to journal about my relationship with God. It includes bible readings, other books I learn from, songs, thoughts, etc. Just stuff that has to do with my relationship with God. I have read the bible from cover to cover before and want to do it again but this time instead of going straight through from front to back I want to read it in a chronological order so I found a print out to map it out for me. I am a big history buff too so I may add things like maps or recent scientific discoveries, etc. I hope it will be fun, educational and that my relationship with God will be enhanced by it.

Thursday, September 10, 2015

KING HEROD

King of Judea from 37 to 4 BC, more than 30 years.

Also known as "Herod The Great"

An  effective, though ruthless, ruler

He is remembered as a builder of cities and the lavish re-builder of the temple in Jerusalem.

But he also destroyed people.  He showed little greatness in either his personal actions or his character.  He was ruthless in ruling his territory.  His suspicions and jealousy led to the murder of several of his children and the death of his wife Mariamne.

Herod's title, king of the Jews, was granted by Rome but never accepted by the Jewish people.  He was not part of the Davidic family line, and he was only partly Jewish.  Although Israel benefited from Herod's lavish efforts to repair the temple in Jerusalem, he won little admiration because he also rebuilt various pagan temples.  Herod's costly attempt to gain the loyalty of the people failed because it was superficial.  His only loyalty was to himself.

Because his royal title was not genuine, Herod was constantly worried about losing his position.  His actions when hearing from the Magi about their search of the new king are consistent with all that we know about Herod.  He planned to locate and kill the child before he could become a threat.  The murder of innocent children that followed is a tragic lesson in what can happen when actions are motivated by selfishness. Herod's suspicions did not spare even his own family.  His life was self-destructive.


No comments:

Post a Comment