This is my "God Spot" blog

Hello, and welcome to my "God Spot" blog. This is a place for me to journal about my relationship with God. It includes bible readings, other books I learn from, songs, thoughts, etc. Just stuff that has to do with my relationship with God. I have read the bible from cover to cover before and want to do it again but this time instead of going straight through from front to back I want to read it in a chronological order so I found a print out to map it out for me. I am a big history buff too so I may add things like maps or recent scientific discoveries, etc. I hope it will be fun, educational and that my relationship with God will be enhanced by it.

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

GENISIS 9: REPOPULATING THE EARTH

God's Covenant With Noah

So now Noah and his family are back on dry land and ready to start a new life.  God blesses them and tells them to "Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the earth..."  A change is now made in what they are given to eat.  He now tells them that "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.  Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."  So I guess at this point is where we begin eating meat?  He also tells them that they can not eat meat (animals) that are still alive and that an accounting will be required for life that is taken.  And that "Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed".  So I guess He wants to make it clear that while we can eat animals he wants us to not go crazy and become like cannibals.  I think He is also trying to tell us to show respect for the life we take when we eat meat.

Then God establishes a covenant with Noah and his family and all living creatures on the earth saying that He will never again destroy the world by flood.  And the sign, or reminder of this covenant is the rainbow that will appears when it rains.

The Sons of Noah

The sons of Noah who came out of the ark were Shem, Ham and Japheth and from them came all the future people.

Noah, a man of the soil, then planted a vineyard and when he drank some of it's wine, he became drunk and was naked and passed out in his tent.  His son Ham saw his father and told his two brothers.  The two brothers, Shem and Japheth went in and covered their father up by walking backwards so they wouldn't see their dad naked.  When Noah woke up and discovered that Ham had not shown the same respect for his as his brothers he cursed him and his sons.  Ham's son was Canaan.  He told Ham that Canaan would become slaves to his brothers Shem and Japheth.  This curse is later fulfilled when the Israelites, led by Moses into the wilderness, enter the promised land and drive the Canaanites out.

No comments:

Post a Comment