This is my "God Spot" blog

Hello, and welcome to my "God Spot" blog. This is a place for me to journal about my relationship with God. It includes bible readings, other books I learn from, songs, thoughts, etc. Just stuff that has to do with my relationship with God. I have read the bible from cover to cover before and want to do it again but this time instead of going straight through from front to back I want to read it in a chronological order so I found a print out to map it out for me. I am a big history buff too so I may add things like maps or recent scientific discoveries, etc. I hope it will be fun, educational and that my relationship with God will be enhanced by it.

Thursday, September 10, 2015

MARY (Mother of Jesus)

Young Mary of Nazareth had the unique privilege of being mother to the very Son of God.

Mary was the only human present at Jesus' birth who also witnessed his death.  She saw him arrive as her baby son, and she watched him die as her Savior.

Until Gabriel's unexpected visit, Mary's life was quite satisfactory.  She had recently become engaged to a carpenter, Joseph, and was anticipating married life.  But her life was about to change forever.

Gabriel told her that even though she had never been with a m an she would have a baby and that baby would be God's Son.  Her answer was the one God waits in vain to hear fro so many other people.  "I am the Lord's servant...May it be to me as you have said"  (Luke 1:38).  Later, her song of joy shows us how well she knew God, for her thoughts were filled with his words from the Old Testament.

Within a few weeks of his birth, Jesus was taken to the temple to be dedicated to God.  There, Joseph and Mary were met by two devout people, Simeon and Anna, who recognized the child as the Messiah and praised God.  Simeon directed some words to Mary that must have come to her mind many times in the years that followed.  "A sword will pierce your own soul" (Luke 2:35).  A big part of her painful privilege of motherhood would be to see her son rejected and crucified by the people he came to save.

Mary was:

  • The mother of Jesus, the Messiah
  • The one human who was with Jesus from birth to death
  • Willing to be available to God
  • Knew and applied Old Testament scriptures
  • Where: Nazareth, Bethlehem
  • Occupation:  Homemaker
  • Relatives:  Husband-Joseph.  Relatives:  Zechariah and Elizabeth, Children-Jesus, James, Joseph, Judas, Simon and daughters
Mary's story is told throughout the Gospels.  She is also mentioned in Acts 1:14  

No comments:

Post a Comment