This is my "God Spot" blog

Hello, and welcome to my "God Spot" blog. This is a place for me to journal about my relationship with God. It includes bible readings, other books I learn from, songs, thoughts, etc. Just stuff that has to do with my relationship with God. I have read the bible from cover to cover before and want to do it again but this time instead of going straight through from front to back I want to read it in a chronological order so I found a print out to map it out for me. I am a big history buff too so I may add things like maps or recent scientific discoveries, etc. I hope it will be fun, educational and that my relationship with God will be enhanced by it.

Thursday, September 10, 2015

DAVID

When we think of David, we think:  shepherd, poet, giat-killer, king, ancestor of Jesus-in short, one of the greatest men in the Old Testament.  But alongside that list stand another:  betrayer, liar, adulterer, murderer.  The first list gives qualities we all might like to have, the second, qualities that might be true of any one of us.  The Bible makes no effort to hide David's failures.  Yet he is remembered and respected for his heart for God.  Knowing how much more we share in David's failures than in his greatness, we should be curious to find out what made God refer to David as "a man after my own heart"(Acts 13:22)

David, more than anything else, had an unchangeable belief in the faithful and forgiving nature of God.  He was a man who lived with great zest.  He sinned many times but he was quick to confess his sins.  His confessions were from the heart, and his repentance was genuine.  David never took God's forgiveness lightly or his blessing for granted.  In return, God never held back from David either his forgiveness or the consequences of his actions.  David experienced the joy of forgiveness even when he had to suffer the consequences of his sins.

David was:

  • Greatest king of Israel
  • Ancestor of Jesus Christ
  • Listed in the Hall of Faith in Hebrews 11
  • A man described by God himself as a man after his own heart
  • Committed adultery with Bathsheba
  • Arranged the murder of Uriah, Bathsheba's husband
  • Directly disobeyed God in taking a census of the people
  • Did not deal decisively with the sins of his children
  • Lived in Bethlehem, Jerusalem
  • Occupations:  Shepherd, musician, poet, solider, king
  • Relatives:  Father-Jesse, Wives-Michal, Ahinoam, Bathsheba, Abigail.  Sons-Absalom, Amnon, Solomon, Adonijah.  Daughters-Tamar. Seven brothers
  • Contemporaries:  Saul, Jonathan, Samuel, Nathan
His story is told in 1 Samuel 16-1 Kings 2, He is also mentioned in Amos 6:5, Matthew 1:1, l; 22:42-45,  Luke 1:32,  Acts 13:22, Romans 1:3,  Hebrews 11:32


No comments:

Post a Comment